Senior .Net Web Developer (.NET MVC, HTML, CSS)
Who are we, and why should you care?
We are Legado. Our team is small, and growing, and we are at a critical juncture: demand is growing for our APIs, we are starting to deliver some big pieces of work for our major customers, and we are planning the next phase of growth for our product, our team and our company.
And if you are a Senior .Net web developer, we want to talk to you.
We have a stellar team lead, and some junior devs; this role fits in between them. You will bring experience and seniority, as well as leadership, and will contribute significantly to the future of the organisation. You will also have a say in the architecture of the solutions we build. As we continue to grow, you may end up leading a team if you wish; if that isn't your thing, we want to work with you to meet your career goals in other ways. You should be eager to learn, to grow, and to take on new challenges, because right now it seems like every day we are inventing new, ludicrously exciting challenges to take on. This is an amazing opportunity for someone with experience of - and a passion for - building a meaningful product that will really help end-users at all stages of life.
The things you will do:
- Work with our star Lead Developer and our growing team to create products for our end users and corporate clients.
- Help the junior devs in both improving the product and themselves. (We really want to invest in our people, across the board!)
- Look with a critical eye at our customer experience and work with the team to propose and implement changes - to our product and, as importantly, to our processes and systems.
- Be a key member of a caring and honest team in our friendly and collaborative work environment. We care about you as an individual, and are looking for real team players who will care about us, too.
- Work to identify the best technical solutions for business requirements, balancing good value with low technical debt.
- Make sure that work meets requirements from Agile Stories and Acceptance Criteria, and collaborate with the product team to make sure everything meets those requirements.
- Work within the Microsoft Azure Devops environment.
- Deliver to challenging timescales in two-week sprints.
- Keep up-to-date with software engineering practices and influence the on-going technical ways of working. (We want you to keep learning and growing; we don’t want people who are just going to stand still and work until they get a pension, although if they do, we expect that they will someday store those pension statements in a Legado vault.)
- Create unit tests and be an advocate for test-driven development and automated testing.
Qualities we are looking for:
- Experience. We have junior devs, and a team lead, and are looking for someone with experience and some career maturity to join us and contribute their wisdom.
- We want people who can take individual ownership of user stories and bugs, and who have experience writing and running unit and system tests.
- We want people who understand the software development life cycle and don’t get scared by adaptive Agile engineering practices. (Don’t go chasing waterfalls…)
- We want people with a start-up mindset – you should be flexible, creative, interested in new things, and want to give value-for-money.
- We are looking for people who can demonstrate a clear understanding of reactive, functional and object-oriented programming fundamentals, and who come in with task management and organisational skills. (We are a life management tool; we need people who can manage their own lives.)
- You should have an exceptional attention to detail. We aim to ensure that nothing falls through the cracks; it is critical to taking care of all the key stakeholders in Legado, and, most importantly, our amazing users and customers.
- You should be yearning to have a sense of ownership of any problems that arise, whether it is from your own work or the work of the team. You should never hesitate to jump in, roll your sleeves up and fix things.
- UX is key, so we are looking for people who can get enthusiastic about providing the most lovable user experience possible, all the time.
- And again, we are a very lean startup, with a team staffed with a motley crew of internationals (and we really value diversity!). You should be excited about joining us, moving fast, occasionally breaking things, being inspired, going from good to great, and working to change the world for the better.
We are looking for in depth experience of:
- C#, .Net Core, ASP.Net MVC
- HTML5, CSS, SCSS
- Integrated systems using REST services and message queues
- SQL Relational Databases
- Unit testing
- Azure DevOps Pipelines
- Hosting sites in Azure
And it would be nice if you had:
- A talent for graphics and visual flair;
- Knowledge of Azure Serverless technologies
- Awareness of Cryptography principles;
- Experience in software development in banking, financial services or technology;
- Scripting builds (Powershell, Cake, Gulp.js, Webpack);
- Any experience with Umbraco; and/or
- Microsoft certifications.
If you think you might want to join us, we can’t wait to hear from you. If you’re not sure that you exactly fit the above criteria, get in touch anyway. Personality and attitude can be just as important as experience, and we love a good talk!
What’s in it for you:
- £55,000-65,000 depending on experience and skills
- 32 days of annual leave (which includes public holidays).
- Work life balance - we’re a small team and understand sometimes you need a day off here and there.
- Collect extra time off: Gain an extra day of holiday for every year of service.
- Hot Day! - Extra day off when the temperature hits 22 celsius or above at our Edinburgh headquarters!
- Office kombucha, cookies, biscotti, muffins, and other baked goods, provided by our Product team (as time and his child-care duties allow).
- A chance to make a meaningful contribution to people's lives and deaths, whilst joining a super exciting, high-growth technology start-up.
- An amazing experience. We work hard. We are focused. We are constantly improving - individually, as a team, and as a company. You will learn. You will grow. You will have opportunities that will astound you. Your skills, abilities, and network will grow exponentially. You will get the chance to try on different hats and determine if you want your career to take a new direction. If we IPO, you get to be a part of that. If we burn through all of our cash and implode at the end of our runway, you will rise out of the ashes as a phoenix - a highly-skilled phoenix, with abilities that your peers will never develop, with C# talons and tail feathers of the purest Azure.
At a certain point in our lives, we will likely feel overwhelmed by information. We get bank statements, phone bills, council tax bills, pension statements, credit card statements, phone bills, wills, life insurance, home insurance, car insurance, pet health insurance, and there is no central place to store all of these documents. Then, when we want to do something big - when we are buying a house, changing a will, getting married, switching jobs - we need to get a seemingly random set of documents together, put them in some sort of order, and share them - with banks, business partners, love partners, solicitors, or employers. Gathering and sending these documents can be a organisational pain, and if our application is rejected or we hear back that they just need “one more document”, it can be head-meets-wall frustrating.
In other words, life is complicated.
We want to make it simpler.
Legado exists to help people prepare for big life moments - to collect all of the information that you have that is floating around and put it in one easy-to-access, completely organised place, with as little work on your part as possible. We then wrap bank-grade security around it - imagine suddenly having a Swiss bank vault for your documents. Then, when you actually need it, we make it incredibly easy to share it with anyone who has an email address, so that you can take the time you would have spent trying to remember your pension account password from the employer you had three years ago just to get the last 24 months of statements for a financial advisor and…well, do whatever you want with that time.
Want to learn more about Legado and our product?
If you are interested please email us at email@example.com with your CV and we'll be in touch.